Our Family Gallery

Portraits of our Family -- in Words and Pictures.

Click on the name you want.

Perry Hoshor Talbott and Belle (McFarland) Talbott

Find a Name Return to the Gallery



  Perry Hoshor Talbott  and  Belle (McFarland) Talbott

Perry Hoshor Talbott was born 5 Feb 1827 in Fairfield County, Ohio.

He is the son of William Wallace Talbott (1798-1889) and Elizabeth (Hoshor) Talbott (about 1802-1873).  They were married about 1825 in Fairfield County, Ohio.

His father William was a physician in the Fairfield County, Ohio area.  His mother Elizabeth's parents were early pioneers in Ohio, in 1806 founding and laying out the town of Jefferson, Fairfield County.

Isabella 'Belle' McFarland was born 2 Mar 1833 in Richland County, Ohio.

Her name is shown as 'Isabella' as a child, and then as 'Belle' in later census, land, and court records.

She is the daughter of Andrew McFarland (1796-1863) and Margaret (Castor) McFarland (1811-1853).  They were married 2 Jul 1827 in Richland County, Ohio.

Her paternal grandparents are William McFarland and Isabella Hamilton.  They were married about 1792 in Glasgow, Scotland and came to America in 1796 (the sea voyage taking 19 weeks, as the navigator became ill and got lost).  Isabella Hamilton is a daughter of Lord Hamilton of Scotland, and is aunt to Alexander Hamilton (1755-1804), the first Secretary of the Treasury of the United States.

Perry Talbott became a physician, as his father had been.  He was graduated from the Starling Medical College of Columbus, Ohio.

College History: Photographs              Year 1851-1852 Students: Book

In 1852, at age 25 Perry Talbott traveled by horseback to California, where he mined for gold and invested in railroad stock.  By 1854 he had returned from California by way of Mexico, and was in Page County, Iowa.

In 1851, at age 18 Belle McFarland moved with her parents to Platte City, Missouri.  In the following year the family bought a farm in Page County, Iowa.

Perry and Belle were married 13 Apr 1854, in Page County, Iowa.

The newlyweds settled in White Cloud Township, Nodaway County, Missouri, where all of their children were born.

Perry Talbott and Belle (McFarland) Talbott are our family's direct ancestors.

They had twelve children:
  • Olivia Talbott (b. Jun 1855)
  • Ianthe Talbott (b. about 1856, d. 1 Feb 1880)  (* We are descended from her.)
  • Ida Belle Talbott
  • Albert Perry Talbott (b. 10 Jun 1859, d. 22 Jul 1881)
  • Ada Alice Talbott (b. about 1861)
  • Charles Edward Talbott (b. 18 May 1864, d. 22 Jul 1881)
  • William Wallace Talbott (b. about 1866)
  • Jennie Talbott (b. about 1867)
  • Cora Anne Talbott (b. about 1869)
  • John Alnutt Talbott (b. Dec 1870)
  • Cicero C. Talbott (b. 24 Sep 1872)
  • Ella Rosa Talbott (b. 24 Oct 1874, d. 27 Jun 1880).

*  Our family comes from the marriage of Ianthe Talbott to William Thomas Shore.

  • Ianthe Talbott and William Thomas Shore were married in Maryville, Nodaway County, Missouri on 5 Oct 1873.  William was age 27, and Ianthe was 17.

  • They had two children: Albertus Arthur Shore (b. 28 Nov 1874) and Jesse Perry Shore (b. 31 Mar 1877).

  • Our family is descended from their son Jesse Perry Shore.  Probably he was named after Ianthe's father, Perry Talbott.

  • Ianthe (Talbott) Shore and William Thomas Shore have their own page in our Family Gallery.

  • Jesse Perry Shore and Anna Agnes (Gaffney) Shore also have their own page in our Family Gallery.



Perry Talbott was a practicing physician in the Nodaway County area, and was a prominent citizen of the State of Missouri.

Here is his biography, published in 1910:

Biography: Biography

He is mentioned in the county's history, published in 1910:

History:  Historical Notes

During the Civil War, he served as Surgeon of the Nodaway County Regiment of Missouri Volunteers.  He was on the battlefield at Shiloh in April 1862.

Here are some areas where the Missouri units fought:

Photographs: Missouri units at Battle of Shiloh

After the war, while maintaining his medical practice, he owned many acres of farmlands that he planted and maintained, and other farms that he rented out.  He achieved prominence as a doctor, farmer, politician, writer, and speaker.  He was elected for two years to the Missouri state legislature and was on several committees for social development.

Newspaper Articles

Here are some newspaper articles:

Newspaper articles: Newspaper articles.

Here is an 1870 article written by Doctor Talbott:

Newspaper article:  May 11, 1870  (on page 1).

Here is an 1872 article written by Doctor Talbott:

Newspaper article:  March 20, 1872  (on page 2).

Here is an 1872 article showing a speech Doctor Talbott made in support of Horace Greeley for President (against Grant):

Newspaper article:  June 6, 1872  (on page 1).

Here are parts of his speech:

"I am willing to strike hands over the graves of the Union and Confederate soldiers, and strew their last resting places with the flowers of love and affection, forgetting all the bitterness of the past in remembering alone their heroic devotion and self sacrifice as brave and honest men.  This alone is the most enduring monument that can be erected by the American people to the memory of the past, and whatever may be the feelings of to-day, future generations and historians will point with pride to the heroism displayed by brothers, who met and went down in the battles strife, and they will claim their heroism as their noblest heritage, belonging alike, to every section of this great American Union."

"Let there be no false pride; let us rise to the position of freemen; let the love of country and patriotism be our rule of action; let the intense hatred that every honest man has against tyranny and despotism, predominate even over that of party name, and all will be well."

Two of the Talbott children made the news in 1873, walking twelve miles away from home:

Newspaper article:  Exploring the world.

Here is an 1876 article about their oldest child spending Christmas with the state Governer's family.  Described as their "accomplished daughter", she is Olivia Talbott (nicknamed "Ola"), then just 20 years old:

Newspaper article:  January 6, 1876  (on page 4).

In 1877 Doctor Perry Talbott founded his own newspaper, the Greenback Standard in Maryville.  In his news articles and speeches, he championed the cause of the Greenback Movement which had some following, especially among farmers, in the years after the Civil War.

Here is a picture of a "Greenback".

Here is his newspaper's issue for 15 November 1879:

Greenback Standard: Greenback Standard Page 1   Page 2   Page 3   Page 4

Note:  These pages are very large files (15-28MB).  Downloading them will take some time.

How these pages were found:   Janet Hawley, author of the book "The Murder of Dr. Talbott", has done extensive research into Nodaway County history and the life of the Talbotts.  (See below for details about the book.)  She has the diary of Dr. Humberd, a visitor to the family who acquired the Talbott home and lands following the assassination.

In her words:

He mentioned on Sept 3, 1952, that there had been an editorial in the Maryville Daily Forum about an old copy of Dr. Perry Talbott's Greenback Standard. The paper belonged to Mrs. H. E. Wright, 315 South Main St, Maryville, who had it from an owner in Oklahoma. On Sept 8, Doc went to see Mrs. Wright and he (from the diary entry):

   "borrowed the ancient newspaper, Greenback Standard, Maryville, Nodaway County, Missouri, Saturday, November 15, 1879. Vol 1, No 9, Charles H. Thomas, Editor, Perry H. Talbott, associate editor. The property of Mrs. John Lester Funk, 700 S. Hoff St., El Reno, Okla. Probably unique, as the only copy known."

Later he took this paper to St. Joe to have negative copies made of 4 pages of it. [Later in the year Doc H bought the paper for $5 from Mrs. Funk through Mrs. Wright.]

Our family is fortunate to have the copy of the newspaper.

At the Greenback Party's national convention in June 1880, Dr.  Talbott gave a nominating speech for its Presidential candidate.  Here are the opening lines from the party's platform for that year:

Excerpt: Greenback Party 1880 Platform

In the 1880 general election, the Greenback Party finished third in votes behind the Republican and Democratic parties.

In 1880, a reporter for the Maryville, Missouri newspaper The Nodaway Democrat wrote of an outdoor political gathering of people, "mixed politically", around a bonfire (September 9, 1880):

"... There was a momentary lull, which some of the mischievous Democrats availed themselves of -- for we have a few mischievous Democrats in Maryville -- to call on Dr. Talbott.  His name had hardly been squeaked out until the doctor mounted the stand and regaled the audience with one of his high-sounding sky-scraping efforts.  Some thought he was going to rehearse his celebrated war-whoop speech which it took him three days to deliver, but he didn't.  The Doctor has a wide reputation as a friend of the poor laboring men, and as there were several of these in his audience he would not of course keep them out of bed quite all night.  The Doctor finally stopped."

Here is a Newspaper Headline about his speech.

He was known as the "Doctor on the Old Grey Mule", riding to the homes of patients who had sent for him.

Years after his death in 1880, stories of his life continued to appear in newspapers.  An 1894 account detailed his pursuit and capture of a mule thief named 'Perkins' in earlier years:

"... the doctor trailed him as deftly as an Arapahoe Indian, over hauling Perkins and the mule in an extensive paw paw thicket ... When he captured Perkins he proceeded to bind him hand and foot and tie him fast to a paw paw tree ... repaired to the nearest house and returning to the thief with a quart of soapsuds compelled him to drink about one half of it and telling him he did not administer the physic for bile or anything like that but to physic that d----d thievishness out of him, let him go."

Creating a Town

On September 15, 1874 Perry H. Talbott and Scott K. Snively, another early settler in the area, laid out the town of Arkoe on what had been farm fields in White Cloud Township, Nodaway County.  In an 1877 Nodaway Democrat newspaper, Doctor Talbott said he named the town from a place in the book The Life and Adventures of Peter Wilkins, written in 1751 by Robert Paltock.  In the book, an "arkoe" is a placid body of water surrounded by woods.  Doctor Talbott might have had in mind the One Hundred and Two River, which runs placidly alongside the town of Arkoe and the farmland where the Talbott home was located.

Another early settler in the area was Washington Hoshor, uncle of Perry Hoshor Talbott.

(He is a brother of Elizabeth Hoshor, who is Perry Hoshor Talbott's mother.)

Here is an account of his life and early days in Nodaway County.  It is his obituary, published 21 May 1908 in the Nodaway Democrat.

Obituary of Washington Hoshor

The Talbott Lands and Home

Perry Talbott and Belle (McFarland) Talbott owned extensive properties including multiple acreages of 160, 120, and 80 acres, and several smaller parcels.  Deeds as early as 20 February 1857 are recorded.  They also held titles to blocks and lots in the town of Arkoe and in Maryville, the county seat.  They had a large homestead with working farms, cattle, and orchards of fruit and nut trees, in addition to the Doctor's medical practice and newspaper publishing.

Part of the Talbott land became the town of Arkoe when it was laid out by Perry Talbott and Scott Snively in 1874.

Here is an Aerial Photograph of Arkoe, taken in October 1950.

The town of Arkoe is in the center of the photograph.

The Talbott lands were in the foreground to the left, along the river.

"Where in the World is Arkoe Missouri?"    --    Its Founding, Early Life, and Progress

The town of Arkoe, Missouri has a history that is richer than that of many larger communities.

From the days of the earliest hunters and trappers traveling among the Native Americans and pioneering the "White Cloud" settlements, to the founding of Arkoe - and onward into its new century - the town has seen a dramatic history.

Its most complete story is in the book "Where in the World is Arkoe Missouri?", by Susan Cronk:

Written by:

Susan Cronk


Available from:



For an
autographed copy
from the author:



(Showing the town's settlement and early life, memorable events, and development into today's community.)

The book describes the land and wildlife found by the earliest settlers, and tells how they began to build their lives.

It shows how those pioneers' vision became reality.  The town began through hard work:  setting apart an area of open land, surveying and mapping it to make living areas and roads, and making them available for people to come there and establish new homes and businesses.

The book gives the early settlers' names and the years they arrived.  It shows maps and drawings of the town's first layout, with early photographs of streets and buildings.

It presents the town's most memorable events, as they happened year-by-year.

The book also shows the railroad's coming - a major event in those early times.  It describes the life of the people and their homes, businesses, schools and religious structures.


The author has devoted a chapter to the Talbott family.  We are indebted to her for it.

The book gives the names of the town's other pioneers in addition to the Talbott family.  It is fully indexed.

For anyone who wants to see what life was like in the area around our family's home in those times, it is a most valuable read.

The Family's Lands

After their daughter Ianthe Talbott's marriage to William Thomas Shore in 1873, the parents gave her sole title to eighty acres of land in 1874.  The deed remains in our family heritage.  It is shown in the records below on this page, and also on the page for William and Ianthe (Talbott) Shore.

Here are Maps  showing the location of Ianthe's land.

After Perry Talbott's death in 1880, his widow sold the properties to Peter Hamill and John Schneider.  Their names appear on the 1893 maps below.  Peter Hamill's portion of the lands was subsequently sold to Samuel Corrough.

Here are Maps  of 1893 showing the lands owned by Peter Hamill and John Schneider.

In 1899 John Alnutt Talbott, son of Perry and Belle Talbott, made lawsuits against Hamill and Schneider for recovery of part of the lands, citing a provision in his father's will.  The lawsuits were ruled as "premature" because the widow Belle was still living (she died in 1910).

Here are his lawsuits: Text  1   2   3

Ianthe's land was sold to Michael Maher.  In 1907, his attorneys sent a Quit Claim deed to Ianthe's son Jesse Perry Shore, asking him to relinquish any claim to the land that he would have inherited.

Letter:  Page  1  2

Deed:   Page  1  2  3

Perry Talbott and Belle (McFarland) Talbott had a large home on their main property, about one-quarter mile northwest of the present-day town of Arkoe.  They patterned it after Hawthorne's "The House of the Seven Gables", overlooking the One Hundred and Two River just east of the house.  All of their twelve children (including Ianthe) were born and lived in the home.

Today the homesite and land are a large, working farm, no longer in the family.  The original Talbott farmhouse is no longer there; a modern house stands in its place.

An archive photograph exists of the Talbott house, taken years after it was removed from the property.  The house had deteriorated and was eventually destroyed.

Here is the Talbott house  after it was removed.

The photograph hints at what must have been a large and well-furnished home, set amid orchards and overlooking the river.

Family Cemetery:  The Talbott Family Cemetery is located about one-half mile west of the homesite.  Photographs of it are shown below on this page.

Today the town of Arkoe has a 'Talbott' street and a 'Belle' street.  It also has an 'Olive' street:  books about the Talbott family show their first child Olivia was called 'Olive' in the home.

Arkoe remains a small community with a population of 58 in the U. S. Federal Census for the year 2000, and 68 in the 2010 census.  Photographs of the town are shown below on this page.

The Talbott Children

Perry and Belle Talbott had twelve children.  All were born in the family home at White Cloud (Arkoe), Nodaway County, Missouri.

Olivia Talbott (b. Jun 1855) married Edwin A. Turner on 11 Jul 1880.  They were married in the Talbott home.

Here is their Marriage Record.   Zoom

Ianthe Talbott (b. about 1856) married  William Thomas Shore on 5 Oct 1873.  They were married in Polk Township, Maryville, Nodaway County.  They settled in La Fayette, Stark County, Illinois.  She died on 1 Feb 1880.

Here is their Marriage Record.   Zoom

(Our family is descended from their marriage.)

Ida Belle Talbott (b. 16 Feb 1859) married Nicholas Mercer on 20 Mar 1879.  She was widowed after five years of marriage, leaving her with two children, Perry Cicero (b. Mar 1880) and Nicholas Jr (b. Jun 1884).  Both children were born in Kansas.  By 1900 she was living in Excelsior Township, Kingfisher County, Oklahoma with her two children.

Here is their Marriage Record.   Zoom

Albert Perry Talbott (b. 16 Feb 1859, d. 22 Jul 1881) was hanged with his brother Charles Edward Talbott for the murder of their father.

Ada Alice Talbott (b. about 1861) married George McClenahan.  In 1880 she had been living in the McClenahan home in La Fayette, Stark County, Illinois (it is likely that she went there with her married sister Ianthe).  George McClenahan was divorced, with Alice living as housekeeper in the home.  They were married on 02 Jul 1881 (he was 27 years older than she).  In 1885, they were living in Wayne Township, Monroe County, Iowa with her younger brother Cicero Talbott, age 12, living with them.

Charles Edward Talbott (b. 1864, d. 22 Jul 1881) was hanged with his brother Albert Perry Talbott for the murder of their father.

William Wallace Talbott (b. about 1866) became by 1895 an attorney in Joplin, Missouri.

Jennie Talbott (b. about 1867) married Dr. John Bruce, a native of Scotland and a physician, living in Washington, D.C.

Cora Anne Talbott (b. about 1869) married James Halman, a telegrapher in San Francisco, California.

John Alnutt Talbott (b. Dec 1870) by 1900 had been married five years, and was a zinc miner living in Scott Township, Sharp County, Arkansas.  The census for that year shows him living there as a boarder without his wife.  In 1899 he lodged two lawsuits against the owners of the lands which had been the Talbott properties, claiming he still had part ownership granted by his father's will.  The suits were judged "premature" as his mother was still living.

Cicero C. Talbott (b. 24 Sep 1872, d. 03 Sep 1948) was in 1895 a college student at Lebanon, Ohio.  He went to Europe in that year, giving his occupation on his passport as Teacher.  He returned on the ship St. Louis, departing in October from Southampton, England and landing in New York on 07 December.  He is listed in these city directories:

1902   Faribault, Minnesota. 1227 N 2nd Ave West
1902   Minneapolis, Minnesota. Occupation: Manager 51 S 4th Street; rooms 523 4th Avenue South
1903   1227 NW 2nd Avenue, Faribault. Occupation: Lecturer
1903   Minneapolis. Occupation: (Caverly & Talbott) General Manager, Bijou Lyceum Bureau, 523 Century Bldg., rooms 717 1st Ave South
1906   St Louis, Missouri. 114 N Jefferson Ave
1908   Faribault. 1227 N 2nd Ave West

Note:  '1227 N 2nd Ave West' is the home his mother Belle (now Riley) owned and where she lived.

He died on 03 September 1948 in Marin County, California.

Ella Rosa Talbott (b. 24 Oct 1874) died in childhood on 27 Jun 1880.

The Talbott Murder

On the night of 18 Sep 1880 at about nine o'clock, Perry Talbott received a gunshot wound to his chest.  Doctors were summoned to his aid, but the wound was determined to be fatal.  He died at about two o'clock the next afternoon.

The murder caused great alarm in the community, partly due to the Doctor's prominence in the area but also because of circumstances surrounding the crime.

In family accounts, the family had returned home from attending a fair in Maryville.  The Doctor had gone to a neighbor's home to see their sick child, and had just returned home from that visit.  As he sat on his bed preparing to retire for the night, he was shot, the ball passing through his body and lodging in the wall behind him.  (It also severed his thumb and middle finger from his right hand, before entering his chest.)  Exiting his body, it grazed his wife Belle.

In a window of the room, across from where he had been sitting, the glass of a window pane had been broken.

Doctor Talbott was fully conscious all that night and the next day until a few minutes before he died.

Last Will and Testament:  He dictated and signed his will, leaving all of his estate to his wife and children.

Here is the text of his will: Will:  18 September 1880

Here is the official probate record: Probate:  8 October 1880

Witnesses to the Will:  Doctor Talbott's thumb and middle finger of his right hand were cut off by the ball as it entered his chest.  Still, he signed his will that night:  it might have been signed with a mark (like an "X") but it was attested to by two men in attendance that night.  They were Albert P. Morehouse, the county judge, and Samuel M. Dunn, the physician who attended him.

Codicil:  A codicil was subsequently added to the will to include his two grandchildren.

The two grandchildren were Albertus Arthur Shore (b. 1874) and Jesse Perry Shore (b. 1877).  They are the children of Ianthe Talbott, in her marriage to William Thomas Shore.

Albertus Arthur Shore (1874-1928) was six years old when the murder occurred.  Later he married Sarah Susanna Brady (1871-1952) and had one child, Edna Ianthe Shore (1909-1984).  She had no children.

Jesse Perry Shore (1877-1950) was three years old when the murder occurred.  Later he married Anna Agnes Gaffney (1872-1946) and had five children.  Our family is descended from their marriage.

Obituary:  Here is an obituary: Obituary:  23 September 1880

Investigation:  An extensive investigation began about the murder.  During that night and the next day the Talbott home had many visitors, including the county sheriff, Sheriff Henry Toel, who was investigating the crime.

Before he died, Doctor Talbott told them that the shooting had probably been done by an assassin acting on behalf of his political opponents.

His wife Belle and their son Albert, who were in the room when the shooting occurred, said that the shot had come from outside the house, through the broken window.  Albert said that after being shot, the Doctor started to take up a shotgun to go outside, but was not able to do so because of his wound.  Albert said that he took the firearm from his father, helped his father to his bed and then went outside, firing one shot at a person retreating from the house.

The sheriff and a posse of citizens examined the grounds in the vicinity of the house, but were not able to establish the presence of tracks.  A light rain had fallen, possibly obscuring any tracks; in addition, the posse made fresh tracks as they searched the premises.

Arrests:  One month later, in October 1880 came the arrests.  The sheriff arrested two of Doctor Talbott's sons, Albert and Charles Talbott, and the widow Belle Talbott, and a hired farmhand, Henry Wyatt.  Belle Talbott was subsequently released.

Here are two reports from the Liberty, Missouri 'Tribune': October 22  November 6

Accounts of the murder and arrests made headlines across the country.

Here is a New York article.

Here is a West Virginia article.

Here are More articles.

The arrests came from the testimony of a private detective, who had newly come to the area.  The detective said that he had gained the confidence of the two Talbott sons.  He said the sons had told him that they had murdered their father, and wished to form a group of bandits for robbing banks, trains, and the mails.  The detective asserted that he had hid his wife -- whom he introduced as his sister -- in a closet, where she heard the statements of the Talbott boys.

The investigations into the crime made newspaper headlines, some of them spectacular.  Much of the controversy was created by the reputation of the private detective, whose testimony had led to the arrests.  A reward had been offered for information leading to the capture of whoever had committed the murder.  The detective had come into the area at that time, using a fictitious name.  He had come there from Kansas, where he had served four years in the penitentiary for larceny.

Other controversies concerned the Doctor's family life, which some neighbors described as having had arguments and confrontations between the father and sons.

Trial:  The trial of the two brothers began in January 1881 in a courtroom packed with spectators and reporters.  The trial of Henry Wyatt was deferred to a later date.

One of the prosecuting attorneys, John Edwards, and one of the defense attorneys, Lafayette Dawson, had been law partners together four years before the trial.  Now they found themselves opposing each other in court.

The trial lasted ten days.  Albert Talbott and Charles Talbott were convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to hang in March 1881.  Newspapers reported men crying, women shrieking, and the judge burying his face in his hands at the reading of the verdict.

Here is a news report of the reading of the verdict.

The verdict was upheld by the Missouri Supreme Court which found no serious irregularities in the trial's proceedings, with the date rescheduled to June.  At the last minute the execution was delayed until July by the Governor, who received pressure on both sides:  either to let the execution proceed -- let the law be carried out -- or to commute the sentence to a lesser one because of the circumstantial evidence, questionable reputation of the key witness, and the youth of one of the defendants (Charles was 16 at the time of the murder).

In their jail cell, on 5 July the sons gave written confessions, but they were rejected by the Governor as being merely attempts at leniency.

Here is a news report of the two confessions.

Finally on 22 July 1881, the sons made final written statements which were reported in the St. Joseph and Maryville newspapers.

Charles wrote:

"Have mercy on me for my dear old mother's sake, for I am punished innocent and have got to die.  My mother has spent her money and she is now left alone in the world to die.      Yours truly, Charles Talbott"

Albert wrote:

"Dear Friends:-  I have been in custody for a long time and all the officers have been very kind to me, one in particular, George Dearing.  He is one of the finest gentlemen I have ever met.
I am in a bad situation at present and have been misrepresented and misjudged from the beginning.  And I am innocent of the crime I have to suffer for, but then people have to have their misfortunes in this world and have to put up with them the best they can.  All I hate in this world is, there is no one to care for my mother, and she is without any one to protect her.  And I must say some day the true facts will come to light in this case, and then I hope capital punishment will be abolished.      Albert Talbott"

Hanging:  After a tearful goodbye with their mother, the two sons were hanged at Beal pasture (now Beal Park) in Maryville.  Albert was 22 years of age, and Charles was 17.

A throng of thousands of people attended the hanging.  Sensational headlines and newspaper articles described it in detail.

Here is a Missouri newspaper report.

The hanging made front page headlines across the country.

Here is an Indiana newspaper article.

The reported "contract" between the detective and the two sons was an item of skepticism at the time.  Given the detective's reputation, it was never clear whether the Talbott sons had hatched the plot as he alleged, or else he had drawn it up himself and enticed them into it (with his wife 'witnessing' from her hideaway in a closet) as part of his plan to claim credit for the arrest and the reward.

Here is a New York Times article.

The article wasn't entirely accurate:  Charles was 17, not 21.  Still the article provided much detail, considering the distance from Missouri and methods of communication at the time.

Before the hanging the two Talbott sons were given final rites by Fr. Anselm, parish priest and rector of St. Mary's church.  Here is an excerpt from his biography, describing that event.

"Back in those days, bigotry was rife in northwest Missouri, and Catholics were either feared or held in contempt.  An instance was the case of the Talbott brothers, Charles and Albert, which provided Father Anselm with a very dramatic introduction to pastoral work in Maryville.  On circumstantial evidence the Talbotts were convicted of the murder of their stepfather and in November 1880 were sentenced to death.  It developed many years afterwards that their mother was the real murderer and that she let her own sons die in her stead.

"Before the sentence was carried out, Fr. Anselm went and talked with the two young men in jail and perhaps even yielded to their request for baptism.  The hanging was a public event, witnessed by a gathering of some five thousand people.  Father Anselm was up on the scaffold with the boys, praying with them and encouraging them as they were executed.

"No sooner was the deed done than the crowd -- or at least some in the crowd -- began to mutter audibly, "Now let's string up the priest!"  Were it not for the officials who protected him, Fr. Anselm may that day have lost his life.  The genial personality of the young priest, however, finally prevailed, so that before long he became one of the most highly esteemed citizens of Maryville, beloved by Catholics and non-Catholics alike.

"He was to have a very dramatic introduction to his work as pastor of St. Mary's.  In November 1880 a grand jury in Maryville had condemned to death two young men, Charles and Albert Talbott, for the murder of their father.  The two young men were not Catholics but Father Anselm called on them in jail and they asked to be baptized.  In announcing their sentence Judge John C. Howell had said:  "I can only recommend to them that they heartily repent of their awful crime and have washed from their souls the foul stain produced by this awful violation of human and divine law."  Some 5,000 people had gathered from all over northwest Missouri to attend the "hangin'".  Father Anselm accompanied the two condemned men to the scaffold, praying with them and encouraging them to face their sentence bravely.  He could not have felt very easy in this trying task for as he was ascending the scaffold the crowd began to shout: "Hang the priest too!""

The description is not accurate:  Perry Talbott was their father, not stepfather; the sentence was given in January 1881, not November 1880.  No link to Belle for the murder was ever 'developed' in later years.

Still the article reflects the drama surrounding the event.

More Newspaper Articles

Here are articles from a Kansas City newspaper.

They describe the arrests, reporting of the trial, and a description of the prosecution's principal witness (who had previously been convicted of larceny and would be again convicted after the trial).

Other articles describe conflicting 'confessions', jail cell goodbyes with the sons' mother and a fiancee, and an interview with the Governor.  One article mentions a scheme to get the two men freed from jail for a fee.

More articles describe the scene on the gallows and the reaction of the crowd of more than ten thousand people.

Another short article describes the life of the widow, Belle Talbott, months afterward.

Set the size for best viewing:

10-29-1880     11-25-1880     06-06-1881    
06-24-1881     06-24-1881     07-06-1881    
07-07-1881     07-15-1881     07-18-1881    
07-21-1881     07-21-1881     07-21-1881    
07-22-1881     07-22-1881     07-22-1881    
07-23-1881     07-23-1881     01-05-1882    

. . .  and here is a haberdashery shop's advertisement:    07-23-1881

The Aftermath

Albert Perry Talbott and Charles Edward Talbott are buried at the Talbott Family Cemetery, their graves a few feet from that of their father Perry Hoshor Talbott.  Their headstone shows clasped hands with the inscription, We Died Inocent.

The farmhand Henry Wyatt later pled guilty to the lesser charge of second-degree manslaughter.  He was sentenced to five years and was released after three and a half years.

The private detective, whose testimony was key to convicting the two Talbott sons, was later convicted of mail tampering and sentenced to three years.  By 1887 he had gone west and made news by tracking and shooting an outlaw.

Here is an account in an Arizona newspaper.

By all accounts the Talbott sons were treated properly by the sheriff Henry Toel, amid newspaper stories of attempted jailbreaks and intrigues for their release.

Here is an account in the Biography of the County Sheriff.

Controversies surrounding the murder, the arrests, trial and testimonies, and the executions found their way into other biographies.

Here is an account in the Biography of a Robber.

The Talbott case set legal precedents that have been cited by courts in other states.  These include:  instructions to juries to not be influenced by sympathy; and the use of circumstantial evidence in a trial for a capital offense.

Here is a citation of the Jury Instructions.

Here is a citation of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.

Adversaries and Neighbors

In their 1881 trial, the Talbott brothers were defended by their attorney LaFayette Dawson (1839-1897).

A witness for the prosecution was a 14-year old boy, Sherman Shinabargar.  Later as an adult he become an attorney, in partnership with Henry Blagg.

In 1907, the law firm of Shinabargar and Blagg wrote a letter to Jesse Perry Shore.  Jesse was the son of Ianthe (Talbott) Shore and nephew of the Talbott brothers.  He was now an adult and married.

The lawyers asked Jesse to agree and sign a Quit Claim deed, giving up any claim he might have to 80 acres of land inherited from his mother.  She had been given the land by her parents Perry and Belle Talbott when she married William Thomas Shore in 1873.

(Copies of her deed to the land, and the lawyers' letter and Quit Claim deed, are shown below on this page.)

In 1910, the two attorneys Sherman Shinabargar and Henry Blagg, with their families, were living only a few doors away from the home of LaFayette Dawson's widow, Calista Dawson.  They were neighbors.

Here is the 1910 census showing where they lived.

Shinabargar's and Blagg's profession is shown as "Lawyer".  The widow Calista Dawson is shown as living on her "Own income".

"The Murder of Dr. Talbott"    --    The Definitive Resource

The murder of Dr. Perry Talbott and subsequent trial and executions of his two sons captured the attention of the public and newspapers for years afterward.

The events and their effect on the public have been recorded in several Missouri histories.

The most comprehensive account is the book "The Murder of Dr. Talbott", by Janet Hawley:

Compiled by:

Janet Hawley


Published by:

Accent Printing
114 East Third Street
Maryville, MO 64468


(A compilation of information relating to the 1880 murder of a prominent Nodaway County Missouri Physician and the subsequent conviction and hanging of his two sons.)

The book is a compilation of newspaper accounts:  the murder, the investigations and arrests; the trial, testimonies and descriptions of the witnesses, the sentencing and conviction; the reaction of the public.

It describes the appeals to the state's supreme court and actions by the governor.  It has interviews with the prisoners in their cells.

It describes the passionate farewell of the mother to her sons, the spectacle of the hangings, the burials, and the lingering aftermath.

The material is presented day-by-day, just as it was published at the time.  The reader gets the most gripping account of those events as they unfolded, with immediate and vivid insight into their effects upon the lives of people in our family and the others who were involved.

The book also provides maps, photos and drawings of the people and vicinity from contemporary accounts.


We are indebted to the author for allowing us to quote some selected parts of her book here, to help in clarifying our family heritage.

The full view of the Talbott family and of the tragic events in their lives can be discovered only by reading the book.

It is the definitive resource for this subject, a must-read for researchers of the Talbott heritage.

The book is fully indexed and includes names of other people in our family in addition to the Talbott names.

The book also provides insights into peoples' lives, their community, the nature of the courts and newspaper reporting of that time.

Later Years

Perry Talbott died on 19 September 1880.  He died that afternoon from a gunshot wound he had received the night before.  He is buried at the Talbott Family Cemetery on the land that was part of the Talbott family farm and homestead.  The cemetery is located about one-half mile west of the modern farmhouse that is on the property.

Belle Talbott remarried on 15 March 1888 to Robert McClellan Draper of Ohio.  They settled in Hardin County, Ohio.

Here is their Marriage License.   Zoom

Robert Draper's wife Mary (Osborne) had died on 1 September 1886.  They had ten children.

At the date of their remarriage, Robert's oldest living child was age 18.  Belle's oldest living child was age 15.

Robert Draper died on 20 October 1894, leaving Belle a widow again.  He is buried in the Grove Cemetery, Kenton, Hardin County.

Belle remarried on 2 January 1896 to Phillip Rilley in Steele County, Minnesota.

Here is their Marriage License.

The name is shown as Riley in most records.

The 1900 Federal Census for Minnesota shows Belle Riley, divorced at age 67, now living in Faribault, Rice County, Minnesota.  She owns a home, which is mortgaged, and she has a boarder.

Her census entry shows that she has had twelve children, of whom eight are still living in 1900.

Her living children are Olivia, Ida Belle, Ada Alice, William Wallace, Jennie, Cora Anne, John Alnutt and Cicero.  In 1900 her children ranged in ages from about 27 to 45.  Some were married; none lived with her.

Her deceased children are Albert Perry, Charles Edward (both hanged in 1881 for murder of their father), Ianthe, and Ella Rosa.

(Our family is descended from her daughter Ianthe's marriage to William Thomas Shore.)

The 1900 Federal Census for Wisconsin shows a Phillip Riley, a widower at age 75.  The census page has an 'X' marked alongside Phillip Riley's name.  It is on the actual page (not added in our research).  Perhaps it indicates some early enquiry into the family's heritage.

Belle Riley is also listed in the Faribault, Minnesota City Directory for the years 1899 and 1903.

Belle's life ended at the Rice County Poor Farm, southwest of Faribault.

Here are official reports of Life on the Poor Farm.

Belle died there on 30 January 1910.

Her death certificate lists her cause of death as 'paralysis and pneumonia, lasting 10 days'.

Her name is misspelled.  The certificate misstates her age.   It erroneously gives her birthplace as New York.  It shows "Unknown" for the names of her father and mother.

She is buried in the Rice County Poor Farm Cemetery.  Her headstone also has her name misspelled, in a different way from her death certificate.

Family Notes

The years 1880 and 1881 were a deeply moving time for the family of Perry and Belle Talbott.

On 1 February 1880 their second child, their married daughter Ianthe (Talbott) Shore died at age 23, leaving two young children, ages 5 and 2 years.  She was buried in the Talbott family's cemetery on their farm at Arkoe, Nodaway County, Missouri.  Her children remained in Stark County, Illinois to be reared by their paternal grandmother and aunt there.

... Our family is descended from Ianthe's son, Jesse Perry Shore (1877-1950).

On 27 June 1880, their youngest child Ella Rosa Talbott, about four years of age, died and was buried in the family's cemetery on the Talbott farm.

On 11 July 1880, a moment of joy came to the family of Perry and Belle Talbott when their oldest child Olivia Talbott married Edwin Turner.  Their wedding feast was celebrated at the Talbott family home.

On 19 September 1880 the father Perry Talbott died of the gunshot wound he had received the night before.  The family was surrounded by visitors, a sheriff's posse, and news reporters with vivid stories and sensation in the headlines.

In October 1880 the two oldest sons Albert and Charles, ages 21 and 16, were arrested for the murder.  They were incarcerated in the Nodaway County jail.

Thus Belle Talbott became widowed with five young children at home.  They ranged from 7 to 14 years of age.

With the intense public curiosity surrounding the family home, Belle and her children moved and took up temporary residence in her husband's office building in Maryville.

In January 1881 the two sons went to trial amid strong controversies about the credibility of the testimony against them.  They were convicted, with newspaper accounts of men crying, women shrieking, and the judge burying his face in his hands at the reading of the verdict.

On 2 July 1881, their daughter Ada Alice Talbott married George H. McClenahan, divorced and 27 years her senior, in Henry County, Illinois.  Alice had been living as Housekeeper in the McClenahan home, and possibly had gone there to be near her sister Ianthe before she died in 1880.

Finally on 22 July 1881, after two delays, the two sons Albert and Charles were hanged before a crowd of thousands of people.

In later newspaper accounts, Belle Talbott had been contacted in 1881 by the outlaw Jesse James who had offered, for payment of $5,000 in advance, to perform a jailbreak to free the two Talbott boys.  Apparently word had spread, and the two sons were moved to a more secure prison with both outdoor and indoor sentries.

Those tragic events must have caused deep grief and concern to Belle Talbott and her children.

So far in our family, no letters from Perry Talbott or Belle Talbott have been discovered.  There are two records of land they had given to their daughter in 1874:

"... in consideration of the Love and affection which we bear to our daughter, Ianthe Shore, wife of Wm. T. Shore and for divers good and valid considerations and by way of advancement do hereby give grant confirm and convey unto Ianthe Shore  ..."

The records then describe the land they are giving to her.

Probably some letters or other communication took place between the family of Belle Talbott and her grandchildren Jesse Perry Shore and Albertus Arthur Shore (Ianthe's children), but so far none has been found.  The two Shore grandchildren are mentioned in settlements of Perry Talbott's will.


All of these documents are shown below.

Census records:

The 1840 census record shows the family of William and Elizabeth Talbott in Bloom Township, Fairfield County, Ohio:

Free White Males:
  • Age under 5:   1
  • Age 10 - 14:   1
  • Age 40 - 49:   1
Free White Females:
  • Age under 5:   1
  • Age 5 - 9:    2
  • Age 10 - 14:   2
  • Age 30 - 39:   1
The 'Free White Male' age 10-14 is Perry, born in 1827.

The 1840 census record shows the family of Andrew and Margaret McFarland in Vernon Township, Richland County, Ohio:

Free White Males:
  • Age under 5:   1
  • Age 5 - 9:    2
  • Age 40 - 49:   1
Free White Females:
  • Age 5 - 9:    2
  • Age 20 - 29:   1
One of the 'Free White Females' age 5-9 is Belle, born in 1833.

The 1850 census record shows the William and Elizabeth Talbott family in Bloom Township, Fairfield County, Ohio:

  • Perry, now 23 years old, is no longer with them.  He has finished his education at the Starling Medical College in Ohio and is traveling on horseback to California.

The 1850 census record shows the Andrew and Margaret McFarland family in Vernon Township, now in Crawford County, Ohio.

  • Belle is Isabella, 17 years old.

Perry and Belle were married in 1854.  The 1860, 1870 and 1880 census records show them together at home with their growing family.

The 1860 census, taken on 14 Aug 1860, shows Perry (age 34) and Belle (age 27) with four children:

  • Olivia, age 6
  • Ianthe, age 4
  • Ida, age 3
  • Albert, age 1

The 1870 census, taken on 16 Aug 1870, shows Perry (age 43) and Belle (age 37) with nine children:

  • Olivia, 15
  • Ianthe, 14
  • Ida, 12
  • Albert P, 11
  • Alice, 9
  • Charles E, 6
  • Wm Wallace, 4
  • Jennie, 3
  • Cora Ann, 1 (listed as 'Corianne')

The 1880 census, taken on 1 Jun 1880, shows Perry (age 53) and Belle (age 47) with seven children at home:

  • Albert, 20
  • William, 14
  • Jennie, 12
  • Cora, 10
  • John, 9
  • Cicero, 7
  • Ella, 5

In the 1880 census:

  • Olivia is to be married in July to Edwin A. Turner, whose family came from Kansas to Missouri for the wedding.  She is listed in a separate census taken in Maryville.
  • Ida's whereabouts on the census date are currently not known.
  • Ianthe had died in February of that year.
  • Alice had gone to Stark County, Illinois to be with her sister Ianthe before she died, and was living there.
  • For some reason, Charles was not counted at home in the census.

Additional pages of the 1880 census are shown below.

  • The census shows the Talbott family on Page 1.
  • The census shows all of the residents of the town of Arkoe, beginning on Page 2.
  • The census shows residents of White Cloud township, including the names of several who testified at the Talbott trial.
  • Henry Wyatt, who was arrested for complicity in the murder and whose testimony was key in the trial, is shown working on the farm of William Early, on Page 2 of the census.  Wyatt began working at the Talbott farm about two weeks after the census was taken.
  • The census shows the family of Whitney Leighty, who testified at the trial (on Page 3).  The little daughter, Edith Leighty, age 2, was the sick child whom Dr. Talbott visited just before returning to his home on the night of the murder.  The child died the next morning.

Census pages are also shown for the Talbott family children after they became adults and were living in various locations around the country.

Other documents:

An aerial photograph shows the Talbott homesite with its surrounding lands.  The photograph, taken in 2006, shows the modern farm (no longer in the family).  The family's original homesite is near the center of the photo, with the town of Arkoe at the bottom right.  Much of the farmland shown in the photo belonged to Perry Talbott, as did several lots in the town.

  • The railbed for the old railroad which ran from Maryville through Arkoe can still be seen.  It is the diagonal, straight line entering Arkoe from the north, just to the west of the One Hundred and Two River.

  • The two Talbott sons were transported by this railway to their jail cells in Maryville prior to the hanging.  A newspaper reported that as the train passed the Talbott family farm, from the train's window Albert saw the farmwork being done there, and remarked that he would not be doing that work again.

Photos taken in 2007 show the modern town of Arkoe, the One Hundred and Two River, and the Talbott Family Cemetery.

Records from state archives show early purchases of land by Perry Talbott in 1858 and 1860.  The purchases are for 120 acres each of "School Land" and of "Swampland".

Two documents, dated 21 Feb 1874 and 12 Aug 1874, show Perry and Belle Talbott conveying deeds of land ownership to their daughter, Ianthe (Talbott) Shore.  The land covers 80 acres.

Ianthe (Talbott) Shore died on 1 Feb 1880.  Two documents, dated 1 Oct 1907 and November 1907, show correspondence between her son Jesse Perry Shore and a Maryville attorney regarding "a slight cloud" over a property title.

Excerpts are shown from books, dated 1895 and 1901, describing the life of Perry and Belle Talbott.

Burial Records:

The Talbott Family Cemetery is located about one-half mile west of the former Talbott family home.  The homesite fronts on Jet Road, about one-quarter mile northwest of the town of Arkoe, Nodaway County, Missouri.

Perry Hoshor Talbott is buried there.

Also in the cemetery is the grave of Perry and Belle Talbott's married daughter Ianthe (Talbott) Shore, and of their little daughter Ella Rosa Talbott.

Their two sons Albert Perry Talbott and Charles Edward Talbott are buried there in a double grave.


In the cemetery, headstones are in place for Perry Talbott (d. 19 September 1880), his daughter Ella Rosa (d. 27 June 1880), and his two sons who were hanged for his murder Albert Perry and Charles Edward (both d. 22 July 1881).

Also buried in the cemetery is his daughter Ianthe (Talbott) Shore (d. 1 February 1880).  Her grave's location is shown in a sketch of the cemetery site published in the Nodaway Democrat newspaper on 28 July 1881, in its article announcing the burial of the two sons.  It mentions four graves:

"The enclosure is about 20 feet square.  1 is the grave of a little daughter of the doctor's who died about a year before his death, 2 is the grave of Ianthe Shore, a married daughter, who died a year ago last March, 3 is the doctor's grave, 4 is the grave of Albert and Edward."

The newspaper's sketch shows Ianthe (Talbott) Shore's grave located between the graves of her father Perry and the child Ella Rosa.

As of 2013, no headstone has yet been located for Ianthe.  Whether a marker was ever there is not known.  How the newspaper reporter located her grave in 1881 is not known.

A stone column marks the grave of Perry Talbott.  His inscription reads:

SEPT. 19, 1880
53 YS. 7 MS. 14 DS.

Triumphant smiles the victors brow
Fanned by some angels purple wing
Where is, O grave thy victory now
And where insidious death thy sting.

A single stone column marks the graves of Albert Talbott and Charles Talbott.  Their inscription reads:

JULY 22, 1881
22 YS. 1 M.
12 DS.
JULY 22, 1881
17 YS. 2 MS.
4 DS.


But they're not dead only gone before,
On a calm and quiet eve
Will visit the loved ones on this shore
Who sadly for them now do greave

A small headstone marks the grave of Ella Rosa Talbott.  Her inscription reads:

JUNE 27, 1880
5 years 8 months 3 days.

Beneath this stone in soft repose,
Is laid a mother's dearest pride.
A flower that scarce had waked to life,
and light and beauty ere it died.

Those are the headstone markers for Perry Talbott, Albert and Charles Talbott, and Ella Rosa Talbott.

In the ground near Ella Rosa's grave is a separate small, rectangular stone.  It appears to be the foundation for another marker, and may have been that of Ianthe (Talbott) Shore.  A drawing of the cemetery published in the Nodaway Democrat newspaper on July 28, 1881 shows Ianthe's grave between those of her father Perry and sister Ella Rosa.  The small foundation stone is near the spot where the newspaper article placed Ianthe's grave.  By 2013, no headstone has been found for Ianthe.

Photographs of the Talbott Family Cemetery taken in 2007 are shown below.

Here are images from the life of Perry and Belle (McFarland) Talbott.

These people are pioneers -- in our nation, and in our family.
Please Help us to learn about them !

1840 US Federal
W.W. Talbott

1840 US Federal

1850 US Federal
W.W. Talbott

1850 US Federal

Page  1  2


1860 US Federal
Talbott Home

1870 US Federal
Talbott Home

1880 US Federal
Talbott Home

1880 US Federal


Nodaway County
Survey Map

Land Purchase

20 Feb 1857
1 Jul 1857

Land Purchase

1 Nov 1857
31 Aug 1858

Land Purchase

3 May 1868

License Tax
1862 1863
1864 1865

Arkoe, Missouri
About 1909
1  2  3

Arkoe, Missouri
Aerial Photos
1  2  3

Arkoe, Missouri
Town Map

Talbott Homesite
Aerial Photo

Talbott Homesite
2007 Photo

Arkoe 2007
1  2  3

Arkoe 2007
4  5  6

Arkoe 2007
7  8

Arkoe 2007
9  10  11

Arkoe 2007
12  13

21 Feb 1874
Land Deed
Page  1  2

12 Aug 1874
Land Deed
Page  1  2

1 Oct 1907
Jesse Shore
Letter from
Page  1  2

Nov 1907
Jesse Shore
Page  1  2  3

1880 Census, White Cloud Township and Town of Arkoe
The 1880 U.S. Federal Census shows residents of White Cloud Township and the town of Arkoe.
It includes people who testified in the trial of the Talbott brothers.

1880 US Federal Census
Page  1

1880 US Federal Census
Page  2

1880 US Federal Census
Page  3

1880 US Federal Census
Page  4

1880 US Federal Census
Page  5
Founding of Arkoe, and the Talbott Murder
The founding of Arkoe, Missouri by Dr. Perry Talbott,
and the trial of the two Talbott boys for murder of their father.




Pages  v  vi


Page  viii


Arkoe Founding
Page  8


Talbott Murder
Pages  148  149

Arkoe Founding
Two Accounts

1877   Top   Bottom
1973   Title  95  96

Arkoe Founding
Another Account

1882   Part  1   2   3

Arkoe Founding
Another Account

1910   Part  1   2
3    4   5   6

Arkoe Founding
Another Account


Perry Talbott

Probate Record

Talbott Murder
1882 History
Preface-1   Preface-2
Part  1   2   3   4
5   6   7   8   9

Talbott Murder
Jesse James
Barnard Bulletin
7 Jul 1932
Top  Bottom

Talbott Murder
Death Sentences
in Missouri

Talbott Sons Burial
28 Jul 1881
Page  Zoom

News Page
28 Jul 1881
Page  Index
A    B
C    D

Talbott Murder
5 Aug 1897

Talbott Murder

Talbott Murder
Early Book

Talbott Murder
Early Book



1   2   3   4
The Talbott Family Cemetery
One-half mile west of the Talbott family homesite, Arkoe.
Buried here are Perry Talbott, his daughters Ianthe (Talbott) Shore and Ella Rosa Talbott,
and sons Albert Perry Talbott and Charles Edward Talbott.

The cemetery is difficult to find on maps.
Its coordinates are:   N 40.26636   W 94.84786

The cemetery is on private land, but Missouri law permits visiting:
Private Cemeteries Law

the Road
1  2  3  4
5  6  7

the Site
8  9  10  11
12  13  14

the Site
15  16  17  18
19  20  21

the Site
22  23  24  25
26  27  28

the Site
29  30  31
32  33

1  2  3

Ella Rosa
1  2  3

Shore - ???
1  2  3  4  5

1  2  3  4
Albert's side
1  2
Charles's side
1  2
Belle (McFarland) Talbott and Robert McClellan Draper
After Perry Talbott's death in 1880, his widow Belle Talbott married Robert McClellan Draper.
They settled in Hardin County, Ohio.
Here is their 1888 marriage license and their 1895 biographies.
(Robert Draper died in 1894.)

Robert Draper
Belle Talbott






296  297  298  299


Index Pages
1  2  3
Belle Talbott -- Final Years
After Robert Draper's death in 1894, Belle married for a third time,
to Phillip Rilley in Steele County, Minnesota.
(The name is shown as Riley in most records.)
The 1900 Federal Census (line 18) shows Belle as divorced, age 67,
living in Faribault, Rice County, Minnesota.
She is listed in the Faribault City Directory for 1899 and 1903,
and she lives in Faribault in the 1905 Minnesota State Census (line 9).
She owns a home, with a family boarding with her.
By 1910 she is an 'inmate' at the Rice County Poor Farm.
She died there on Jan 30, 1910.
Belle is buried in the Rice County Poor Farm Cemetery.
Her name is misspelled -- in two different ways.
On her Death Certificate her name is misspelled 'Riely'.
Her parents are shown as "Unknown".
On her headstone her name is misspelled 'Reily'.
Her age and birthplace are shown incorrectly.
It was a lonely end
for a woman who knew so much in her life,
in her young marriage, then to wealth and prominence,
tragic loss of her husband, two sons, two daughters.
Now alone on a Poor Farm,
with eight of her twelve children still living
miles away.

1900 US Federal

1900 US Federal

1899, 1903 Faribault,

1905 State

Death Certificate

Poor Farm
1  2  3

Poor Farm
4  5

Poor Farm
6  7

Poor Farm
8  9

Poor Farm
10  11
The Talbott Children
Perry and Belle Talbott had twelve children.
Eight survived and lived in various places around the country.
Here are some records for them and their families.

5 Jul 1873
Ianthe Marriage
to William T. Shore


20 Mar 1879
Ida Belle Marriage
to Nicholas Mercer


11 Jul 1880
Olivia Marriage
to Edwin Turner


3 May 1884
Jennie Talbott
Accused with
Man Friend


1885 Iowa Census
Alice McClenahan
and Cicero Talbott
(Lines 13-17)

1895 Passport
Cicero C.


John A. Talbott
vs Schneider
to Recover Land

Text 1   2

John A. Talbott
vs Hamill
to Recover Land


1900 US Federal Census
Geo. McClenahan
Widower of Ada Alice
(Line 10)

1900 US Federal Census
Ida Belle
(Line 61)

1900 US Federal Census
John Alnutt
(Line 66)

1902 Faribault,
Belle   Cicero




4 August 2015

Return to the Gallery